Down the Amazon River 5















While we had the door of our room open early this morning, a couple came by to ask if we wanted to join them on a trip to visit indigenous villages up the Tapajós River. I jumped out of my bed to say: SIM! (Portuguese for YES!).

Because we are entering a forest reserve, we had to get a permit, which meant going to Santarém and visiting a
government office for forests in Brazil.

We had nothing planned for the day except going to the beach again so off we went, by bus, back to Santarém.


















The sun was bright and it was a very hot day. So hot that once in a while we would have to walk into a store or whatever business we would find just to air-condition our heads. The office in Santarém was a bit out of the way and we had to ask several people for directions, but we found it and got the papers we needed. They also gave us visitor’s information with rules and places we could and could not visit.

We then took advantage of being in a big town to stop at an internet-cafe so my parents could check emails. My mom alone had to look at 758 emails. Luckily, most internet cafes in Brazil also have computers set up for playing games, so while my parents worked I got to play soccer games on the computer, and won all but one.

Near the port where we had to take the bus back to Alter do Chão, there was a market that sold some things from the region. My father and I got matching straw hats which we wished we had in our heads all day today. And by the time we got back to Alter do Chão, it was already dark and time for dinner.