Brazilian Amazon Day 10















Our fifth and last day traveling on the Awape is today. I woke up really early to watch the sunrise: my last sunrise on the Rio Negro. I had a feeling today was my lucky day.















We got on the canoe for one last time and rode it by using its motor. We rode it for a long time, about 30 minutes. And on the riverbanks, near Manaus, we were greeted by a man from the Tukano tribe.















The tribe was made up of about four families, who moved closer to the city a few years ago so that their children could go to school. Next to their homes, they set up an area to welcome visitors who want to meet them, and learn about their customs.

They took us on a tour around their village to show us some of their tools and skills, and we all got turns trying some of their instruments, such as blowguns which they use to kill birds. The bow and arrows are used to kill bigger animals such as deer, and I almost got a bulls eye with the help of an older man. They showed us a trap where there were leaves, with a string under it. The animal would go to eat the bait and the string would pop out of the bait and catch the animal by hanging it upside down.



We were told that they were to perform a ceremony, usually not seen by outsiders. It all felt very special. Everybody gathered under a big hut: man, women and children. One by one, they came to shake our hands and introduce themselves. They were half naked, the women wearing skirts, the men a piece of cloth. A guy came and spoke for a while in his own language and then people started bringing in instruments and dance. At one point, a little girl who didn’t speak any Portuguese except her name, Tatiana, came and took my hand into the dance circle. I also was given a flute to play, but it was hard as I had to both pull Tatiana and dance at the same time.















As I had hoped this day would come true, I brought a special gift from the US which I thought the kids would enjoy. Something I myself love: baseball cards. I started to give them away and was taken around to meet even those who were inside their homes. Also to my surprise, not only the kids my age enjoyed the cards but also adults and babies.
















At the end I was left with one rubber band to which I held dearly. And the memories of a trip I will never forget.